Tuesday, December 17, 2013

TGBTL Week #3: Tom Kha Kai

So here's the thing--I don't cook that often. I really should cook more, we spend WAY too much money eating out. So my go-to meals are like so basic that posting a recipe would just be silly. I mean you all can read the directions on the back of a mac & cheese box without me. So instead for this week's link up, I'm going to share a recipe I had awesome success with recently: Tom Kha Kai.

It sounds scary and difficult, but it's not! I promise.

When we lived in St. George, Ryan and I loved to go to Benja's, which is an amazing Thai restaurant. One of the dishes we love most is the Tom Kha Kai soup. It took me awhile to get hooked on it, but once I did, I could not stop eating it.

Sadly, I have yet to find a place in Provo that serves it (if you know of one please let me know), and I crave it all the time. I have looked for recipes, but I have always been intimidated by the ingredients. Finally, I was craving it so bad that I decided to just go for it and hope for the best.

I found an awesome recipe at The Quixotic Table and decided to give it a go. I had to go to a Asian food market to find some of the ingredients, but I was able to get most everything at the grocery store. I made a couple alterations from the original recipe.


1. I halved everything. This recipe is huge. Even cut in half this recipe still fed us multiple times.
2. I substituted vegetarian Golden Mountain sauce for the fish sauce. Fish sauce is essentially fermented fish and salt. It is used in a ton of Thai food. But after reading some tips on using it, I read that while it does not taste fishy in food, sometimes the cook can smell/taste it because it is overwhelming alone. I hate fish, so I decided to be safe and replace it. I found the Golden Mountain sauce worked great and achieved the same flavor I was going for, without the fishy taste.


Tom Kha Kai

1 quart low sodium chicken broth
2 19 ounce cans of coconut milk
1 stalk lemongrass, pounded with the back of a knife & cut into thirds
4-6 kaffir lime leaves
2-3 inch piece galangal, sliced
1 palm sugar disc, crushed
6-8 ounces mushrooms
Any veggies desired (I used spinach, but broccoli or snap peas would be good too)
1-2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
1/3 cup Golden Mountain sauce or fish Sauce
1 bunch cilantro for topping if desired

In a large pot, add chicken broth, coconut milk, lemongrass, lime leaves, and galangal. Bring to a slow boil and reduce heat. Simmer for about 30 minutes. The broth should be strong and fragrant. Use a slotted spoon to remove the lemongrass, lime leaves, and galangal. Add the palm sugar, mushrooms, and veggies. Cook until mushrooms and veggies are soft. Add the Golden Mountain or fish sauce and chicken.

Serve over jasmine rice for a more filling meal, and add chili sauce or oil for some kick!


I know this might seem like an intimidating recipe, but if I can pull it off, I promise you can too! If you like Thai food, give this a try!

Girl Between the Lines Link up


10 comments:

  1. I've never had Thai food, but this looks delicious. Thanks for sharing. I'm stopping by from TGBTL link-up!

    -Haylee
    http://jetsandabrunette.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love Thai food! It's one of our favorites! And it was so much easier to make that I thought!

      Delete
  2. Hey!! Stopping by from the TGBTL link-up. Nice to "meet" you, and I'm loving that you posted this! My hubby and I love Thai food! I will have to try it some time. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so welcome! It was so easy, and much cheaper than buying it at the restaurant! Definitely try it!

      Delete
  3. Yum this looks amazing! And I love that it's a little different than what most people would make. Stopping by from the TGBTL linkup!

    ReplyDelete
  4. THIS LOOKS AMAZING!!!!!!!! To be honest, I don't cook much either... that's why I'm obsessed with my crock pot. It pretty much cooks for me;). SO glad you shared.... I might get the guts to try this soon! Thanks for linking up again!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crock pots are the best!! I really should use mine more!

      Delete
  5. Wow, this looks amazing! I've never had Thai food, but I sure would like to try! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Thai food so much!!! This recipe sounds fantastic! :-)

    ReplyDelete