Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Blessing Bags

For Christmas this year Dave, Ryan's dad, asked that instead of buying him a gift, we do some kind of service for someone else and then document it in some way for him. For about a month we were thinking of some things we could possibly do, and then I came across this awesome idea on Pinterest. Every time we drive past a homeless person, Ryan gets really bummed out. He has a huge heart, and a huge soft spot for the homeless. But so often we just don't stop. We don't have the time, we don't have anything to give them, or we are afraid to give them money. There are a ton of excuses to just not stop. That's where Blessing Bags come into play!


It's so easy, and it was way fun. Even Maylie was able to help! All you do is fill gallon plastic bags with whatever you think would be helpful for a homeless person. We did:
  • Crackers
  • Wet wipes
  • Juice
  • Poptarts
  • Toothbrush
  • Toothpaste
  • A pair of socks
  • Tissues




Then you leave a few in your car at a time, and hand out to a homeless person instead of just driving by. Ironically enough, we haven't even seen a homeless person since we made the bags. So they are just sitting in our back seat waiting to be given out!

4 comments:

  1. Hi I know you don't know me, but I am friends with the Laws Family and found your blog through Riki's page. I just wanted to say those bags are such a great idea. I always want to stop, but am worried to give them money. I am definitely going to be making some soon to carry around.
    Thanks for posting this idea
    -Lacey Johnson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lacey, I don't know you but I have heard of you! Glad you stopped by, the bags were seriously way fun to make! Glad you liked the idea :)

      Delete
  2. I saw that idea on Pinterest too! You guys are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You made Dad Laws/Grandad a very happy man with your service story......thanks for being so awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete